For our final night in Toronto we chose to visit one of the new west end Toronto restaurants we’d been hearing about. Enoteca Sociale bills itself as a “real Italian wine bar” and despite the fact that it was a cold and blistery Thursday night, the restaurant was packed. Walking in, the décor is unassuming and underwhelming but this spot is really about the food and the atmosphere – which was lively and upbeat on this visit.
The menu is somewhat small and can be limiting for people with food restrictions but the wine list is extensive. We decided to go all out and ended up ordering more than half the items on the menu during our five-course extravaganza.
For starters we had:
- Arancini with arugula salad – generous portion, crispy on the outside and gooey cheese filling
- Buffalo Mozzarella with tomatoes and anchovies – the anchovies were unnecessary and the dish needed salt in order to bring out the flavor of the tomatoes but overall a decent dish
- Grilled Octopus – nicely prepared and tender
- Baccala cake – fantastic, light and tasted of the ocean
Our second course:
- Bucatini all’amatriciana (minus the pork) – good but not great
- Spaghetti with pecorino and black pepper – rich texture and amazingly flavourful for such few ingredients
For our third Course we had a sharing plate of rack of lamb – well prepared, mild and accompanied by crisp brussel sprouts
Dessert was a chocolate budino and ricotta tiramisu – both were pleasantly light dishes
Not to be outdone we also ordered a three cheese tasting plate to round out our meal. All excellent selections though overpriced given the tiny slivers that we were served. Overall Enoteca lived up to its reputation serving up really good food, decent service and a casual atmosphere.
arancini con stracciatella, arugula & caramelized onion $11
ontario buffalo mozzarella, anchovies & summer tomato $12
grilled octopus, swiss chard & new potato $12
baccala cake, spicy aioli, chickpeas & arugula $11
spaghetti cacio e pepe (pecorino & black pepper) $12
kale, white bean & guanciale 6
Rack of Lamb with roasted potatoes and brussel sprouts $60
chocolate budino, olive oil & sea salt $8
ricotta tiramisu $8
Selection of cheese $18